Skip to content ↓

Natwest Vase

First XV make it through to the quarter final of the Natwest Vase    

The first XV have made it through to the quarter final of the Natwest Vase after a hard fought victory over Altrincham Grammar School for Boys.

King’s have been strong starters this season and continued that trend by scoring on 7 minutes under the posts through W. Shennan. However, this only appeared to wake up Altrincham who, through a well-directed kicking game mounted pressure on the King’s defence. This eventually told just before the break with the Altrincham winger scoring in the corner following a prolonged attack in the King’s 22. 7-5 to King’s at half time.

Altrincham started the 2nd half by giving away multiple penalties and found themselves penned back in their own half. King’s had toiled away through to backs to no avail but a change of tactic eventually unlocked the Altrincham defence. A driving maul from a 5m lineout eventually crashed over with scrum half J. Tweedie the man to put the ball down. 14-5 to King’s. This was followed by more Altrincham indiscipline eventually resulting in one of their players being sin binned for a high tackle. King’s took advantage of this when J. Tweedie dummied and went to score from a 5m scrum, again converted by S Hawkins. 19-5. From the ensuing kick-off, King’s failed to exit effectively, letting Altrincham back in the game with a try under the post making the score 19-12. Game on! King’s eventually settled down and got back to their game plan to see out the games. As Altrincham grew more desperate, King's become increasingly clinical and tries from S. Hawkins and C. Tweedie were well taken and both were converted by M. Fairlie who showed excellent composure under pressure. The final score was a 33-12 win for King's.

King’s now advance to the quarter final of the Natwest Vase – a stage the school have not reached at First XV level for a significant number of years. King’s have been drawn away to Newcastle School for Boys. The game will be played on Wednesday 4th December at Blaydon Rugby Club with a 1.30pm kick off. All support welcome.

Where Next